The 2012 Women's Social Leadership Award Winners, were a great global vintage. It proves that with determination, discipline, resilience and impactful connections, women social entrepreneurs and activists can make a real difference.
Judge and event supporter Melanie Stubbing, President, Europe Weight Watchers Inc says: "I am delighted that these women have been recognised for the incredible impact they're making through their innovative ideas, courage and sheer hard work. They are tenacious and committed social entrepreneurs and every one of us, both men and women, have so much to learn from their passion, creativity and sheer determination to achieve success. In a world that is struggling with economic uncertainty, we need future thought leaders and facilitators like these women to challenge conventions and strive for better."
Winners WSLA 2012
- SUSAN AKTEMEL - Impact Arts - UK (Social Business Leader)
- LOUISE VAN RHYN - Symphonia for South Africa - SA (Leader in Campaigns)
- ANDREA KRAUSE - FYSE - China (Leader in the Workplace/Intermediaries)
And our amazing network has chosen this year's favourite finalist via the People's vote:
- DONNA MORTON FROM FIRST POWER CANADA
Highly Commended Finalists
In the category "Social Business Leader 2012" UK | World
- Benita Matofska | The People who share | UK | www.thepeoplewhoshare.com @benitamatofska@peoplewhoshare
- Donna Morton | First Power | Canada | www.firstpowercanada.ca @First_power
In the category "Campaign Leader 2012" UK | World
- Bratindi Jena | The Nyamgiri Protection Campaign / ActionAid India | India | www.actionaid.org
- Ummul Chowdhury | Bidna Capoeira UK | www.bidnacapoeira.org | @BidnaCapoeira
In the category "Leader in the Workplace / Intermediaries 2012" UK | World
- Sara Damber | Playing for Change | Sweden | www.playingforchange.se | @sara_damber
- Charmian Love | Volans | UK | www.volans.com | @volanschar
The winners have received exposure, insights, coaching, connections, media opportunities and high value peer-to-peer mentoring.
Melanie Stubbing, President WeighWatchers Europe, advisor on the board of various women-led social enterprises and activist angel.
Diane Verde Nieto, Founder and CEO Positiveluxury.com, nominated by the World Economic Forum as a Young Global Leader in 2011.
Laura Haynes, Chairman Appetite and Board Director at U.N. Women, U.K. National Committee, President of the Design Business Association (DBA).
Naomi Devine, Environmental activist, Campaigner on Ride2Rio, live from Rio de Janeiro's Earth Summit.
The Women’s Social Leadership Awards 2012 were supported by WeightWatchers International.